“Productivity is never an accident. It is always the result of a commitment to excellence, intelligent planning, and focused effort” – Paul J. Meyer.
In this busy era, keyboard shortcuts are heaven-sent tools for most professionals. These shortcuts help teachers, professors, students, professionals, and just about anyone who uses computers on a daily basis. This article aims to teach MS Excel shortcuts that are most useful for financial analysts who handle tons of data in their line of work. Keyboard shortcuts can help anyone work faster by saving 2 seconds per minute, which amounts to saving a total of 8 working days per year! Pretty neat huh?! So here they are:
- Alt+Enter: To insert a new line within a cell
- F2: To edit within a cell
- Shift+F2: Allows you to add comments in the cell.
- Ctrl+F2: Opens the print preview
- Ctrl+Enter: To fill selected cells with an entry you have typed in another cell.
- Ctrl+D or Ctrl+R: This key will help you to fill the data right or down through selected cells.
- Ctrl+F3: To create a name
- Ctrl ; (semi-colon) or Ctrl : (colon): To enter the current date and time
- F11: To create a chart from a range of the data
- Ctrl ~: Toggles the display of formulas.
There are so many operations in financial modeling that financial analysts have to perform repeatedly, and knowing keyboard shortcuts can speed up your work and save you time and money. Other useful excel shortcuts are:
- Ctrl+Z: Undo
- Ctrl+V: Multiple paste
- Ctrl+*: Select current region
- Shift+F11: Insert new work sheet
- Ctrl+N: Open new workbook
- Ctrl+X: Cut
- Ctrl+spacebar: select
- Shift+spacebar: Columns select rows
- Ctrl+B, Ctrl+U: Cells, Bold, Underline
Here are other popular Excel shortcuts used in financial modeling:
- Ctrl+A: This shortcut is useful when you want to select the entire sheet or the current area.
- Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V: These shortcuts are useful when you want to copy and paste anything after selecting the region or anywhere else in the entire worksheet.
- Ctrl+Y: This helps you redo any of your previous action.
- Ctrl+F: This shortcut helps in finding any dialogue box.
- Ctrl+H: This shortcut will automatically help you in replacing any dialogue box. This is very useful when you want to find any text in Excel worksheet.
- Ctrl+Shift+Right / Ctrl+Shift+Down: Is for filling across the columns and rows. Use this shortcut instead of clicking and dragging within the cell to the right/ down.
- Alt+’: This shortcut is for applying the style quickly to your models as this shortcut brings up the style dialogue box.
- Ctrl+End: This shortcut helps you get to the end of your worksheet in a flash.
- F7: This shortcut helps you quickly check your spelling.
Excel shortcuts are a vital weapon in any financial analyst’s arsenal. They just make working with MS Excel easier, faster, and more accurate. Good news is, KeyRocket is here to help you easily learn keyboard shortcuts for most Windows and Microsoft products like MS Office. It makes learning keyboard shortcuts simple and fun by suggesting useful shortcuts in a small notification window based on your mouse clicks and movements. So go check it out today and impress your team with your improved productivity.